Not everyone has to live in a nursing home for the rest of their life. If your loved one is ready to move out of a nursing home, it’s important to make sure that he or she is ready to go home. Take a look at the following information, to better prepare for your loved one’s next step, with less assistance. If you have any questions, or if you’d like to discuss other ways to prepare for nursing home departure, contact an estate planning attorney.
It can be difficult to know for sure whether a loved one is ready to leave the nursing home; often, patients are discharged if they are well or no longer making progress in physical therapy. This is because Medicare stops paying.
Along with your loved one and the medical staff, it’s important that you carefully think through where your loved one will go next. When making this choice, consider the following:
- Is your loved one physically able to get around independently? If not, what kind of support is needed?
- Is your loved one capable of making personal care decisions on a daily basis? Is support needed for dressing, toileting, eating, and grooming?
- Will he or she be able to take part in social activities in the new environment?
- Will family members or friends be able to assist with care?
- Does your loved one require constant medical attention?
- Is at home care service required, or is assisted living appropriate?
- Will your loved one be close to medical facilities in case of emergency?
Your loved one may be able to leave the nursing home, even if there are still care needs present. It’s important to carefully consider your loved one’s current needs so that a plan can be developed. You may want to consider a combination of at home care services, along with the care assistance of loved ones, or an assisted living facility.
If you need help deciding where your loved one will live after a nursing home stay, consult with a qualified estate planning attorney.
Latest posts by Michael Robinson, Estate Planning Attorney (see all)
- Beneficiary Designations, etc., Aren’t a True Substitute for a Trust - April 17, 2019
- What Are 529 Plans and What Are Their Advantages? - April 17, 2019
- Have You Heard of These Trusts? - April 16, 2019