The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. provides help to clients who may require Medicaid to cover the cost of nursing home care. We also help parents to make plans to protect Medicaid benefits for disabled children. If you have questions about Medicaid or want help getting covered, give us a call for personalized advice. You can also review the Medicaid resources below to find out more about the Medicaid program in New York.
Medicaid is operated as a partnership between the state and the federal government. If you are a resident of the state of New York, it is imperative that you know the state-specific rules that will apply to determine which Medicaid program you may be eligible for and to determine what you must do to obtain Medicaid coverage. These resources provide you information on New York’s Medicaid program and on how New York works within the federal system to provide coverage for the healthcare needs of state residents.
- Medicaid State Resources: This is a federal page which includes links and information about individual state Medicaid programs. You can use it to find out the details about New York’s program and also to learn about other state rules that may differ from requirements within New York in case you are thinking about relocating.
- The New York State Department of Health: The Health Department in the State of New York has created a detailed website which provides comprehensive information about the state’s Medicaid program. If you have any questions about Medicaid, this is a good place to start as you can find links to lots of other resources that can let you know about the program. While there is no substitute for getting personalized legal advice on qualifying for Medicaid and getting yourself covered, this is a good general resource that will teach you a lot of the background that you need to know about Medicaid.
Medicaid has strict rules for eligibility. It is important that you understand these rules and that you work with a Medicaid planning lawyer to help you if you are concerned that you will not be eligible for essential Medicaid benefits that you need:
- Medicaid Eligibility information from the federal government: Although each state is authorized to establish its own rules for determining who is eligible for Medicaid coverage, states must work within a set of basic parameters established by the federal government as part of the federal/state partnership in delivering Medicaid services. This federal page provides information on some of the basic eligibility rules set by the federal government that could affect access to coverage within the state of New York.
- FAQ from the New York State Department of Health: If you are interested in learning about New York state’s rules for Medicaid eligibility, this page is the resource that you need. You will be able to find details about income limits, resource limits and other basic rules of eligibility. You can also find details about where and how to apply for different kinds of benefits through Medicaid. The process of applying for benefits differs for seniors 65 and older compared with lower income younger people who may be seeking Medicaid coverage.
- The Health Plan Marketplace: New York state has a health plan marketplace where people can shop for individual and family insurance coverage. This page provides details about Medicaid eligibility and about financial assistance that may be able to individuals who purchase private insurance coverage.
Individuals who rely on Medicaid can also benefit from learning more about how to use their Medicaid coverage and from better understanding the different kinds of things that Medicaid covers. These resources provide information on how you can best use your benefits within the state of New York:
- The Local Departments of Social Services list (LDSS) list: Here, you can find a detailed list of Departments of Services in your area. The New York Department of Health has compiled this local list so individuals throughout New York will know where to go to get support. The LDSS Office is the place where many people go to apply for Medicaid coverage, so you need to know how to find your local department if you believe you need Medicaid benefits and want help with the application process. The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. can also guide you through the process of determining Medicaid eligibility and applying for coverage.
- Health and Human Services Guide to Finding a Medicaid Doctor: The federal Health and Human Services Department has information for Medicaid recipients on where to find doctors who accept Medicaid patients.
- The Medicaid Copayment Policy: Information is available at this resource if you want to find out how copays work for Medicaid patients. There is also information about when a copay can be waived so seniors and other Medicaid recipients can receive services through their Medicaid benefits even in circumstances where they are not able to pay for a portion of the costs of those services.
If you are interested in comparing nursing homes that accept Medicaid to determine the services that the home offers and to find out the reputation of the nursing care facility, you can take advantage of the following resource:
- Nursing Home Compare: At Nursing Home Compare, you will find a database of different nursing home facilities and residential care facilities covering every state in the United States. You an restrict your search only to nursing homes which accept Medicaid patients. Once you have a list of nursing homes in your geographic area which take Medicaid, you can review information about the services that the home provides and about its reputation in caring for seniors.
Choosing the right nursing home is vitally important. The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. will assist you in doing nursing home planning before the time comes when you must go into a nursing home for emergency care so you can find a facility that Medicaid will pay for that will provide you with an acceptable level of service so you can have the highest possible quality of life.
Getting Legal Help from a Medicaid Planning Attorney
When you need help with Medicaid planning, The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. is here and ready to help. To find out more about the assistance we can offer, join us for a free seminar at any time. You can also give us a call at 585-374-5210 or contact us online to learn more.