A New York probate attorney provides invaluable assistance with the probate process. The probate process occurs after most deaths and is a necessary process to ensure the wishes of the deceased are followed if a will is being used to pass on the deceased person’s assets. The deceased is called the decedent during probate proceedings, and the probate process is usually overseen by an executor of an estate or personal administrator who has a lot of responsibility in moving forward with court action to wind up the estate affairs.
The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. can provide representation during the probate process. Our legal team knows the New York laws on probating a will and we offer the assistance that an executor of an estate needs to fulfill his or her legal obligations.
Our firm also offers representation to heirs or beneficiaries who want to ensure their inheritance is protected by an appropriate probate process. Finally, if there is a will contest raised and you believe that the will being probated is not a true and valid reflection of the decedent’s wishes, we can help you to argue against probating the will. Give us a call today to find out more about the probate process and about the tasks a New York probate attorney can help with.
What Tasks Dos a New York Probate Attorney Help With?
It is important for everyone involved in the probate process to have legal representation. However, there are different things a New York probate attorney will assist with, depending upon your specific role during probate.
- If your job during the probate process is to serve as executor, our legal team helps you to understand the court paperwork that must be filed and assists you in ensuring you take good care of the decedent’s investments and other estate property. We also assist with providing essential notice to creditors and heirs, fulfilling estate tax obligations, and doing all of the other tasks imposed upon you by New York law.
- If you are an heir or beneficiary, on the other hand, we help you to determine what the executor’s duties are and assist in making sure the executor of an estate is behaving appropriately to protect your interests.
- If you are contesting a will, then a probate attorney will assist you in identifying problems with the will, alerting the probate court to the fact you are raising a will contest, and making the strongest arguments possible against the will.
These are just a few of the many tasks a probate lawyer will do as you go through the probate process. You should make certain your attorney has the experience and compassion necessary to help you during this high-stakes time.
Why is it Important to Have a New York Probate Attorney During the Probate Process?
You need assistance from an experienced attorney if you are the executor of a will because you have a fiduciary duty to make certain you fulfill your obligations appropriately. Heirs or beneficiaries could actually take action against you if they believe you failed to respect the wishes of the deceased or act in the best interests of the estate.
If you make a mistake as executor, you could be faced with a civil case against you. You don’t want the possibility of personal losses because of your role serving as executor of an estate. You also don’t want to let down the deceased who was counting on you. Hiring a lawyer helps ensure that you are able to fulfill your role appropriately.
Heirs or beneficiaries also need a lawyer to protect the inheritance they have coming, while those who wish to contest a will are going to need help crafting effective legal arguments.
Getting Help from A Nw York Probate Attorney
The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. can provide the assistance that you need throughout the entirety of the probate process, regardless of your role within this process. We have a long track record of successfully representing executors of estates, heirs or beneficiaries, and those contesting a will. We know the ins-and-outs of the probate process in New York and we will be there with you every step of the way until the decedent’s affairs are settled.
To find out more about the ways in which our legal team can assist you throughout the probate process, give us a call at 585-374-5210 or contact us online today. You can also download our free estate planning worksheet to learn about preparing for probate and about what the essential steps are of this process after a death. Download your worksheet or give us a call now to get started.
Latest posts by Michael Robinson, Estate Planning Attorney (see all)
- Treasury Releases New Inflation Adjustment - July 18, 2018
- What Executors Need to Know About Managing Estate Assets - July 17, 2018
- Insurance You Need to Protect Your Assets - July 17, 2018