When creating your estate plan, it’s important to make sure that you have the best plan possible. This will allow you to be prepared for all of life’s many misadventures. If you’re new to planning, you may have a lot of questions and concerns about the process. We’ve taken the time to list 8 important things to consider when handling your estate plan.
- To have the best plan possible, it’s recommended that you work with an experienced estate planning attorney.
- Remember to review your planning every 3 to 5 years. This will allow you to make changes that may be necessary in order to have a plan that works.
- Don’t put off your planning. If you continue to wait, you may be unprepared for a tragic event.
- Consider all aspects of planning. While it may be difficult to talk about certain subjects such as death or disability, these conversations are necessary, in order to have the best possible plan.
- Talk with your loved ones about your planning. This can help reassure your friend and family members that all will be well no matter what. It can also give you the opportunity to explain your decisions.
- Put your planning documents in a safe place. It can be easy to lose your paperwork. With a little extra care, you can keep your plans in a safe and damage-free location.
- If you have questions during the process, ask. It’s important that you fully understand your plan, as well as how each document will help you.
- Don’t forget to finish your planning. It’s important to stay focused throughout your planning. You need to make sure that your documents are completed and signed.
If you have any questions about the estate planning process, or if you’re ready to begin creating your estate plan, consult with a qualified estate planning attorney.
Latest posts by Michael Robinson, Estate Planning Attorney (see all)
- Reasons an Estate Plan Could Be Challenged: Part 3 – Fraud - January 22, 2020
- Question and Answer Session With an Elder Law Attorney - January 21, 2020
- Five Things You Need to Know About Medicaid Planning - January 16, 2020