If you’re beginning to develop your own estate planning goals, you may be exploring different estate planning tools and documents. We’ve taken the time to explain some important estate planning documents. Take a look at the information below to learn more. If you have any questions, or if you’d like to start your estate planning, call our office.
A living will is an important planning document if you have certain medical wishes that you wish to be respected. You never know when you may become disabled or incapacitated, so it’s important to have medical planning in place. With this document, you’re able to outline your wishes regarding certain end of life healthcare procedures and treatments. This may include your choices on certain pain medications, as well as your preferences regarding the use of life support. It’s important to create this document so that your wishes are followed, even when you’re unable to make decisions on your own.
Health Care Proxy
It’s also important to create a health care proxy. This document allows you to appoint an agent who will be responsible for helping to make important decisions on your behalf, if you ever become disabled or incapacitated. With this document, you can accomplish the following:
- Appoint a healthcare agent who will help to make decisions on your behalf
- Your agent will be responsible for making sure that you receive proper medical care
- You can make sure that you have a plan in place so that you get help when you need it most
Without this planning document, your loved ones may have to go to court, in order to get approval to help make healthcare decisions on your behalf. Make sure that you’re prepared with the use of this document.
If you have any questions about the above information, or if you’d like to create an estate plan, call our estate planning law office for a confidential consultation.
Latest posts by Michael Robinson, Estate Planning Attorney (see all)
- Beneficiary Designations, etc., Aren’t a True Substitute for a Trust - April 17, 2019
- What Are 529 Plans and What Are Their Advantages? - April 17, 2019
- Have You Heard of These Trusts? - April 16, 2019