Many people put off their estate plan and then find that they’re unprepared when something goes wrong. It’s a good idea to create an estate plan as soon as possible. Signing your estate planning documents on the day you turn 18 is ideal!
Take a look at the benefits to early planning, below. If you have any questions, or if you’re ready to commit to your estate plan needs, meet with an estate planning attorney.
- You can have control over important issues. Whether you’re choosing a guardian for your minor children, deciding how your assets will be distributed, or planning for future long-term care costs, you can be in charge of your future.
- You’re able to have a plan in place for possible emergencies. You never know when an emergency may occur. In fact, for people in their 20s and 30s, you are three times more likely to become disabled in any one year than to die. Without an estate plan, you may be left helpless and subject to whatever the court determines.
- You can live a more stress-free life. Once you take the time to plan, you can have a greater peace of mind. This will allow you to live your life without having to constantly worry about future issues.
- You can better understand how future affairs will be handled. Once you create a plan, there are no questions about how your affairs will be handled in the future. This can take the guesswork out of your personal matters.
- You can discuss your planning and desires with loved ones. This can not only allow you to express your wishes, but it can also help you to discuss their need for estate planning. You can ensure that your close friends and family members have also taken the steps needed to plan for the future.
Don’t continue to put off your planning because you’re young. Instead, create your estate plan as soon as possible. If you have any questions, or if you’re ready to create your estate plan, consult with a qualified estate planning attorney.
Latest posts by Michael Robinson, Estate Planning Attorney (see all)
- Beneficiary Designations, etc., Aren’t a True Substitute for a Trust - April 17, 2019
- What Are 529 Plans and What Are Their Advantages? - April 17, 2019
- Have You Heard of These Trusts? - April 16, 2019