After a death has occurred, the probate process typically must occur to facilitate the transfer of the deceased person’s assets. The probate process involves taking steps to wind up the affairs of the deceased person. It can be a complicated process which is costly and which requires interfacing with the courts and with government agencies including state and local taxing authorities.
Heirs or beneficiaries, the executor of an estate, and others with an interest in the outcome of probate proceedings should all consider getting legal help. A compassionate and knowledgeable Pittsford probate attorney at The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. can guide you through the process of probating an estate to make sure the process is as quick and easy as possible and to ensure the assets left behind are as protected as possible until they can transfer to new owners.
You can find out more about how probate works and the services offered by our probate lawyers by reviewing the information below, and you can give us a call when you are ready to get personalized help with the probate and estate issues affecting your family and your life.
Probate Resources in Pittsford
To find out more about the probate process in Pittsford or about how the probate process works within the State of New York, you can consult these key resources:
- The Monroe County Surrogate’s Court: This court website contains information about the probate process, as well as details about the process of obtaining forms and filing court forms that may be necessary during the probate process.
- The probate page of the New York State Unified Court System: This website provides detailed information about what probate is, how the process works, and the probate process forms. There is also a checklist for probate proceedings which aims to help those going through the probate process to better understand what is involved with the process.
- Probate statutes: The website of the New York State Legislature provides information on the laws applicable to the probate process. If you want to find out exactly what the law is direct from the source, the probate code is the resource that you should turn to.
Understanding and interpreting the laws governing probate in the State of New York can be complicated. The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. is here to help. We can make the probate process as easy as possible for those who have lost loved ones by handing the technical aspects of probate on your behalf.
Estate Taxes in Pittsford NY
When a person with a larger estate passes away in Pittsford, estate tax may be due. It is important to understand both the federal and state rules for the assessment of estate tax. These resources can help:
- The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance: This website provides details on estate tax in New York that apply to both residents and nonresidents alike. You can find information on when estate tax is due, what forms need to be filed, how taxes are assessed, and what gifts are included in a taxable estate.
- The IRS estate tax website: Here, you can find information on the most up-to-date rules for the federal estate tax. The federal tax works differently than New York’s tax and it is possible that an estate will need to pay taxes to both the state and federal government after a wealthy property owner passes away.
The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. provides assistance to clients during the estate planning process to try to reduce or avoid estate taxes that their estate may owe upon their death.
Pittsford Probate Courts
Probate proceedings in the state of New York take place in courts called Surrogate’s Courts, as do guardianship or conservatorship proceedings in which a guardian or conservator must be named to make decisions on behalf of an incapacitated person.
For Pittsford residents or those who owned property in Pittsford that must pass through the probate process, the relevant court is the Surrogate Court for the 7th Judicial District, which serves all of Monroe County. This Surrogate Court is located on the fifth floor of the Hall of Justice in Room 541. The address for the Hall of Justice is 99 Exchange Boulevard and the telephone number is 585-371-3310. You can reach the court when it is open on Monday through Friday from the hours of 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. The court is closed on holidays.
The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. can provide help with all situations where you are involved with this court during the probate process. We can help with filing paperwork to probate a will or to contest a will and we can work to ensure that your involvement with the court goes as smoothly as possible. We are here to help as soon as your loved one has passed on so you can get the lengthy probate process moving as quickly as you can.
Getting Help from Pittsford Probate Lawyers
Pittsford probate lawyers at The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. will provide you with representation throughout the entirety of the probate process. We can help if you must go to court to have a guardian or conservator named for someone who has become incapacitated and we can provide representation and assistance if your loved one has passed away. We can represent an executor of an estate, heirs or beneficiaries, those who wish to contest a will, and any other interested parties involved in the probate process.
We also provide help and advice to clients who wish to make an advanced plan so their loved ones can avoid the hassle of probate and so assets can be protected from losses caused by estate tax, estate litigation, probate costs and more.
To find out more about how The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. can help you, join us for a free seminar. You can also give us a call at (585) 374-5210 or contact us online at any time to talk with a compassionate and knowledgeable member of our legal team about your personalized plans.