Getting older brings new opportunities and new challenges. It is entirely possible for seniors to have a wonderful quality of life, provided they plan ahead and take advantage of benefits available to them. It is also important for seniors to plan ahead in case something goes wrong, such as illness or age-related infirmity that affects their ability to continue to live independently.
The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. is here to help seniors be prepared for whatever life brings. Our Pittsford elder law attorneys can assist seniors in identifying and utilizing benefits, in protecting assets, and in creating comprehensive plans for whatever the future holds. And, because elder law issues affect people of all ages who want to be prepared and who want to ensure their families are protected, our legal team represents people of all ages and provides help to individuals and families at all income levels.
You should give us a call to find out about the personalized assistance that an elder law attorney can provide to you. You can also make use of the resources our legal team has assembled below to learn more about elder law issues and the supports and services available in the Pittsford area to address those key issues.
Senior Services in Pittsford
Many older people in Pittsford can benefit from taking advantage of services available at senior centers. To find out about different programs and services that can benefit you, consider these key resources:
- The Senior Citizens section of the Town of Pittsford website: This website provides an activities and programs calendar, a monthly newsletter for seniors, a flyer for the nutrition program for seniors, a menu for the lunch club offered to local seniors, and details about transportation services offered to seniors through Elderberry Express.
- The Senior Center website for the Town of Pittsford: The Town of Pittsford senior center offers classes and other programs open to seniors to enhance their quality of life and help older Pittsford residents to maintain community and social connections.
The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. can also provide help qualifying for benefits through the Veterans’ Administration or through other government programs if your need for help and support is more intensive or if you need more costly or hands-on care.
Nursing Homes in Pittsford
Once you have reached the age of 65, there is around a 70 percent chance that some of the remaining time you have will be spent in a nursing home. It is imperative you find the right care facility to reduce the risk of abuse or neglect. These resources can help:
- S. News & World Reports Best Nursing Home Rankings: This website provides details on the best nursing homes in the greater Rochester area. You can search by distance from a particular location and can narrow down your search to the quality rating of a specific care facility. You can also search nursing homes by name.
- A Place for Mom: A Place for Mom lists 18 nursing homes and care facilities in and around Pittsford.
The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. can assist with the creation of an advanced nursing home plan so you can be prepared in case you require nursing home care or long-term care at home.
Medicaid Resources in Pittsford
Because nursing home care is expensive and not covered by most insurance policies, seniors and others who believe they will need Medicaid in Pittsford need to understand the New York State rules for Medicaid eligibility. Some of the resources that can help include:
- The website of the New York State Department of Health: This website explains the basics of Medicaid programs in New York, including programs available to seniors that can help to cover the costs of nursing home care. You can learn about how to apply and eligibility requirements for getting Medicaid to cover you.
- The website of gov: This federal website explains when Medicaid covers nursing home care facilities, as well as the requirements for getting Medicaid to cover the costs of your nursing home care.
The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. can provide assistance in making a Medicaid plan to get covered by Medicaid while protecting as much of your wealth as possible.
Courts in Pittsford
Because Pittsford is located in New York, probate and estate matters are handled in Surrogate’s Court. In particular, these matters will be handled by the Surrogate’s Court in the 7th Judicial District which serves Monroe County.
The Surrogate’s Court is located at 99 Exchange Boulevard on the 5th Floor of the Hall of Justice. The court is in Room 541. This is in Rochester, NY 14614. The telephone number to reach the Monroe County Surrogate’s Court is 585-371-3310. The court is open on Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, except for court holidays.
A variety of legal matters are handled in the Surrogate’s Court, including both the probating of an estate as well as guardianship or conservatorship proceedings that must take place in circumstances where someone has become incapacitated and a guardian or conservator must be appointed to manage his or her affairs.
Getting Help from a Pittsford Elder Law Attorney
A Pittsford elder law attorney at The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. can provide seniors with help understanding the issues that matter as they get older. It is not just seniors who can benefit from working with an elder law attorney and people of all ages should work with a compassionate and knowledgeable legal professional to create the right plans for their future.
To find out more about how The Law Office of Michael Robinson, P.C. can help you with retirement planning, financial planning, incapacity planning, end of life planning, legacy planning and more, join us for a free seminar. You can also give us a call at (585) 546-1734 or contact us online at any time to talk with an experience member of our legal team who is ready and willing to help with the creation of your personalized plans for the future.